There are a number of nurses working overseas who are interested in international LPN sponsorship that will allow them to work in the US. Generally speaking this sponsorship is often only available to nurses who already have an RN qualification, but if you are already at LPN level you will have the opportunity to work towards a position where you will be able to enter the US. Several organizations offer international LPN sponsorship to students who meet the various necessary requirements and there are plenty of opportunities for nurses from many different countries to work in the US.
If you have an F1 Visa (also known as an International or Foreign Student Visa) you may be able to benefit from the international LPN sponsorship opportunity offered by HCCA international. This sponsorship requires that you have, with your visa, completed a nursing program within the US that is accredited. If you are soon going to graduate from such a program you may also apply. In order to work on a temporary basis as a nurse in the states as a foreign national you will need to apply for OPT (Optional Practical Training) from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS). Note: it could take as long as 120 days for you to receive this authorization. The minimum waiting time is 90 days. According to the HCCA website, in order to be eligible for OPT:
- You must be in a full time student status for at least one full academic year preceding the submission of your OPT application
- You must be maintaining valid F-1(International/Foreign Student Visa) status at the time of the application and
- You must intend to work in a position directly related to your major field of study
Applications for international LPN sponsorship require a number of documents. These documents are fairly standard, but may vary slightly depending on the organization through which you plan to apply for sponsorship. In the case of HCCA you will need to provide the following:
- An I-20 form issued by your university
- An I-94 Departure Record and copy of your F-1 Visa (this will be stamped in Passport)
- A current passport from your home country
- A current OPT (optional practical training) work authorization and an I-765 application for a Work Authorization Receipt Notice
- A social security number
- An NCLEX Result and current U.S. license
- A copy of your nursing diploma
- Your resume
- A copy of your secondary school diploma
- An original nursing school transcript
- A copy of your birth certificate
- A copy of your marriage certificate
- A copy of your dependents’ birth certificates and passports
- A copy of your driver’s license
- Passport size photos (8)
The following people are eligible to apply for international LPN sponsorship through the HCCA:
- Applicants from Philippines-Asia
- Applicants from UK-Europe
- Applicants from UAE-Middle East
- Applicants from India
- Applicants from Central-South America
- Applicants from Canada
- Applicants from Mexico
- Applicants from US Virgin Islands
- US Residents Requiring Sponsorship
In order to apply please go to this website and select the criteria that applies to you. In addition you can call 1-800-932-4685 for more information.
In order to receive international LPN sponsorship from Onward Healthcare there are three main criteria that you will need to meet.
An Up-to-Date Resume
Firstly you will require an up-to-date resume that outlines all of your qualifications and achievements as a nurse so far in your career. This will be invaluable in helping your secure sponsorship. The first step in the process at Onward Healthcare involves emailing your comprehensive resume to email@example.com. The Recruitment Team will:
- Look at your resume and determine whether or not you meet the requirements necessary to work as a nurse in the United States of America.
- Once your eligibility is confirmed you will be contacted by a representative from the recruitment team who will then discuss the next steps in the process with you.
There are, as with any health care profession, a number of examinations that you will need to pass before you can be granted international LPN sponsorship through Onward Healthcare. Having LPN status is only the first step as you will need to pass the NCLEX-RN (National Council Licensure Examination – Registered Nurse) exam in order to:
- Get a Green Card to live in the US
- Get a Green Card to work in the US as a nurse
Consequently your LPN qualification is only a stepping stone to receiving international sponsorship. In addition you must take:
- The CGFNS (The Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools) exam (this will allow you to start the sponsorship process, but you still need to write the NCLEX-RN)
- The TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or the IELTS (International English Language Testing System) exams (certain countries only)
In addition you will need to confirm your immigration status by providing all of the necessary documentation. This means that it is a lengthy process to receive international LPN sponsorship. To work as a nurse in the US you will need:
- A Permanent Residency Visa (Green Card) – This will be provided by Onward Healthcare. This Green Card will allow you and any of your children who are younger than 21 to live and work in the US legally.
- A VisaScreen Certificate – This is a requirement that confirms that you meet the necessary criteria for health care professionals in the US.
Meeting these criteria will mean that you are now eligible to begin working as a nurse in the US. In addition to providing you with the tools you need to enter the country, Onward Healthcare also provides you with a large database of job opportunities.
CareLine is another organization aimed at assisting foreign nurses to create a career in the United States and provides them with multiple opportunities to realize their dreams. Again there are a number of requirements to be met, which are quite similar to those required by other agencies.
- BSN Degree from an accredited nursing school or university
- Current nursing or allied health license from home country
- CGFNS / NCLEX-RN Certificate or NPTE (for Physical Therapists) or NBCOT (for Occupational Therapists)
- English language proficiency test certificates, namely the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) certificate OR the Test of Spoken English (TSE) and Test of Written English (TWE) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) certificate
These requirements are very similar to those needed by Onward Healthcare and tend to form the backbone of any application process for international sponsorship.
CareLine is aware of the fact that moving to a new country to work can be an extremely difficult transition to make. Consequently they have put a number of measures in place in order to help you settle in as quickly as possible and adapt to the changing situation seamlessly. In addition to the orientation offered, there are also, according to CareLine’s website, a large number of benefits available that you will have the opportunity to make the most of. These include:
- One way airfare to the USA
- Housing allowance upon arrival of assistance to arrange your living prior to your arrival in the USA
- CareLine representative at your service, from meeting you at the airport to assisting you in settling in
- Highly competitive salary in the leading hospitals in New York and New Jersey
- Same day Pay
- Health, Dental and Life Insurance
- Matching 401K Pension Plans
- Holiday, Vacation and Sick Leaves
- Employee perks and establishment discounts
Agencies such as this one are the best ones to choose when looking for sponsorship. It is important that you consider only the best agencies that offer only the best opportunities to their employees.
It is important to remember that foreign sponsorship agencies such as those mentioned here will always have slightly different criteria. It is your responsibility to gain a comprehensive understanding of what will be required of you in order to receive sponsorship form a particular agency and what you will need to do in order to maintain that sponsorship once you have entered the country. Any breach of the requirements will be your own responsibility as you will always be fully informed in one way or another before embarking on your international career as to what those requirements are.
There are other organizations that offer international LPN sponsorship but the three mentioned here are among the better known options and are also the more reliable choices to make. They also provide excellent guidelines for what you could expect from most international LPN sponsorship programs. It is important that you do your research well in this regard and that you carefully ensure that you are able to meet all of the requirements that may be specified by the particular international LPN sponsorship program you are interested in using.