About The Eastern Nursing Research Society
The Eastern Nursing Research Society, often referred to simply as ENRS, was established in 1988. According to its website, it is “dedicated to creating a community of nurses interested in promoting and supporting regional nursing research in the Eastern Region of the United States”. The Eastern Nursing Research Society also has a number of goals that it strives to achieve. These goals are as follows:
- Firstly the organization would like to provide a comprehensive networking forum for its members. Networking is the most effective way in which to improve your career chances and discover more about the industry. This is why the Eastern Nursing Research Society is determined to ensure that the research nurses within its fold are provided with as many opportunities to achieve this as possible.
- The main aim of research is to develop nursing science and thereby improve the quality of care that patients receive and the quality of the profession in general. The Eastern Nursing Research Society considers this to be one of its primary aims.
- The Eastern Nursing Research Society aims to take evidence found during its research endeavors and using it to guide nursing practice in the best direction possible based on its findings. In addition to this it aims to use nursing decant in the area of research as a means for influencing nursing policies.
- Through mentorship programs the Eastern Nursing Research Society plans to ensure that nurse scientists at all levels receive the guidance and direction that they need in order to make the most of their careers in this sub profession.
- The Eastern Nursing Research Society also aims to sustain a ‘vital’ organization. ‘Vital’ here refers to the fact that the organization wants to remain active and useful and ‘alive’ within the field of nursing by staying up to date with policy and innovation and by actively working towards causing necessary changes.
Member Benefits And Categories
Individual Membership Category
All professional organizations including the Eastern Nursing Research Society have a number of benefits available for their members. This is in order to encourage and reward membership and to ultimately ensure that the specific profession in question is maintained at a high standard. One of the first benefits worth mentioning here is the yearly subscription to Nursing Research, the official Journal of ENRS. This is a valuable resource in that it will provide you with a great deal of information about the profession and therefore serves as an excellent way to stay up to date with current news in the realm of research. By reading the research of others you will be uniquely placed to perform well in your own research.
It is also interesting to note that this journal is now available online, making it more easily accessible to a wider variety of nurse researchers. As a member you will also be eligible for conference participation. These conferences are extremely important events as they, like the journal, exist for the purpose of ensuring that you are kept up to date with the most recent news and developments form the profession. In addition to merely having access to these conferences, you will also be eligible for a reduced registration fee as a member, making it easier for members of the Eastern Nursing Research Society to attend these conferences than for non members.
Because the Eastern Nursing Research Society knows that networking is the best way in which to advance your career in any nursing profession, they provide a number of networking opportunities to members through which they can make contact with other professionals in the industry and expand their knowledge and career aspirations. Other ways in which the Eastern Nursing Research Society strives to keep you informed about important industry information is through the newsletters and updates provided to its members. You will also be eligible for membership in Research Interest Groups as a member of the Eastern Nursing Research Society, which is one of the best ways in which to expand your development within the industry.
There are also opportunities to mentor and be mentored, which is extremely helpful for new nurse just entering the field of medical research. BY offering to mentor others you will also make a significant difference in the industry and this is also an excellent way to boost your resume and demonstrate your commitment to the profession. The Eastern Nursing Research Society acts as a showcase for faculty and student research. Essentially what this means is that you will, through the Eastern Nursing Research Society, be guaranteed of having your work heard and read by the larger community.
For those individuals and organizations who have membership with the Eastern Nursing Research Society and who require funding in order to continue with their research, the organization actively seeks to identify funding opportunities for that very purpose. In addition you will be given access to numerous job opportunities that you may have otherwise never even heard of if you were not a member of the organization. Annual awards are given to individuals and groups every year who have performed well within the area of nursing research, which means that your hard work and innovation will not go unnoticed. Last, but certainly not least, you will have access to the Members Only Section of the ENRS website which will provide you with all the information ENRS posts on its website.
Organizational Membership Category
ENRS has a new level of membership for any organization interested in joining the society as a group. This is extremely useful for a number of different organizations as it is not always practical for each member of that organization to join at an individual level, either because the organization is too young or because the members of that organization are not all involved in just research all the time (meaning that the benefits mentioned above are of less use of them than for other candidates). There are two main types of membership:
- Gold Organizational Member which comes at a fee of $1,500; and
- Silver Organizational Member which comes at a fee of $750
Gold Organizational Member – $1,500
If your organization elects to become a Gold Organizational Member it will receive Full Individual Memberships for up to 10 people or employees within that organization. This membership includes the bi-monthly Nursing Research Journal for all representing members. To a certain degree this level of membership is extremely similar to the individual membership category for those 10 employees who receive the full membership status. In addition to this your organization will receive the following:
- Two – ¼ page postings to the ENRS Job Section of the Website OR a one-time use of the ENRS membership mailing list
- A Corporate Member Link on the ENRS Website
- Priority consideration for exhibit space at the Annual Scientific Sessions
- Listing in Book of Proceedings at the Scientific Sessions
Essentially the main point of having organization membership with the Eastern Nursing Research Society is to promote your organization and to gain access to a number of useful research materials that you may not have otherwise had the opportunity to see.
Silver Organizational Member – $750
Silver Organizational Membership is quite similar to Gold Organizational Membership, except that the organization in question will only be granted Full Individual Memberships for up to 5 people/employees. In addition to that these organizations will receive one – ¼ page postings to the ENRS Job Section of the Website OR a one-time use of ENRS membership mailing list at a reduced rate (1/2 off), a Corporate Member Link on the ENRS Website, and a Listing in Book of Proceedings at the Scientific Sessions. As you can see the benefits are fewer for a silver member, but they are still well worth considering in terms of the marketing potential and access to resources that such membership results in.
At its annual conference every year the Eastern Nursing Research Society gives away seven different awards to those who have stood out within the profession. This indicates that your hard work and effort will not go unnoticed. The awards include:
- The Distinguished Contribution to Nursing Research Award
- The Rising Star Research Award
- The John A. Hartford Geriatric Research Award
- The Suzanne Feetham Nurse Scientist Family Research Award
- ENRS/Council for the Advancement of Nursing Science Dissertation Award
- The Doctoral Student Scholar Award
- The BSN / MSN 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Place Poster Awards
- ENRS/ANF Scholar Award
- The Eastern Nursing Research Society New Investigator Award
If you would like to find out more about these awards and how to apply, visit here.
Membership with this organization will also serve to give you an edge in your search for a job by demonstrating to potential employers that you are willing to go the extra mile for the profession.
If you would like more information about this organization, please use the contact information provided below:
Eastern Nursing Research Society
100 N. 20th Street, Suite 400
Philadelphia, PA 19103