It is not necessary to be an American to study in the US to become a Licensed Practical Nurse, as there are many online LPN programs for international students. These programs allow you to get your nursing degree online from a reputable U.S. accredited university or nursing school. Virtually the entire program can be done online, and they are one way of circumventing the extensive credentialing normally required. Once you have completed and passed the program you will be able to sit for the NCLEX-PN examination in order to gain licensure. The NCLEX-PN examination is offered in various international locations.
Doing one of the online LPN programs for international students is a great way to gain your licensed practical nurse qualification, but be warned, not all programs are accredited. It is very important that when doing your research into which schools offer the online programs you verify the accreditation of the school and the program, as you will not be allowed to sit for the NCLEX-PN examination if the school is not accredited by a legitimate and verifiable organization. This information can be accessed by dong some research on the Internet.
In order to ensure that the course and school is legitimate and provides an education that meets U.S. standards you should review the education guidelines offered by the National Council of State Boards of Nursing. The designation Licensed Practical Nurse or Licensed Vocational Nurse is often referred to as “Enrolled Nurse” or “Second Level General Nurse” in other countries, so remember to look out for these programs too when researching. Any accredited program will support and provide opportunity for clinical observation, although you may have to arrange this yourself in a medical facility near where you live.
Requirements For International Students
When approaching schools about online LPN programs for international students, it is imperative that you check their list of requirements for international students. These requirements may include:
- That the applicant is 18 years or older.
- A high school graduation equivalency certificate or certificates/degrees obtained at an international college/university, depending on the program for which you are applying. Official transcripts will have to be sent. Some schools may require that your school send a written explanation detailing their grading system. The United States Information Services (USIS) can help you with any problems and additional advice should you require it.
- A candidate must demonstrate a good command of written and oral English skills to ensure that they are eligible and equipped to complete college/university-level coursework. If English is not the mother-tongue, a demonstration of English proficiency through scoring well on a Test of English as a Foreign Language test (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is required. Scores are valid for two years.
- Three letters of recommendation are required. These would usually be from an employer, ex-employer, high school principal, or the head of the institution at which you previously studied.
- A current resume or curriculum vitae, once again depending on the program.
- The payment of a tuition deposit and/or application fee.
- Some schools may also require a Certification of Available Finances, a bank statement or letter from your bank detailing the account activity for the three months prior to the date of application.
Many of the schools offering online LPN programs for international students will require that your international transcripts are evaluated by an educational credentialing agency such as World Education Services (www.wes.org) or www.ece.org. There are a few other credentialing agencies, and it would be best to enquire as to which agency the school prefers or accepts. Any costs incurred for this evaluation will be for the student’s account. The official evaluation must be sent directly from the credentialing agency as no photo copies will be accepted. Non-English transcripts must be accompanied by an official English translation.
Tips For International Student Applicants Of Online LPN Programs
It is essential that you ensure that you have everything in order before you apply to study online with a college in the U.S.so as to make your whole application process flow easier. This will save you both time and effort or the frustration of e-mails going back and forth in order to get everything to the applications office and will also make them see you in a better light as they will see you as being competent and showing attention to detail which is important in nursing.
The following tips should make this easier:
- If English is not your mother-tongue, find a local English as a Foreign Language testing centre and take the test so that you have the scores ready to accompany your application. Check the website of the school to which you are applying first to see which internationally accredited tests they will accept.
- Contact prospective nursing schools that offer online LPN programs for international students well in advance of your actual application to ensure that you get all relevant information. Do not just rely on the information on the website, personal contact via an e-mail or by engaging in an online chat with one of the advisers.
- Do not only apply to one school, and apply to schools in different areas.
- Ascertain what other tests are required and what the range of test scores is that the schools require, and take all of the exams well before applying.
- Complete the required paperwork as soon as you receive it so that there are no delays in your acceptance into the program.
Schools That Offer Online LPN Programs For International Students
There are various schools in the U.S.that offer international students the opportunity to study via online programs in the nursing profession including accredited online LPN programs. Although they cannot all be mentioned in this article, here are a few examples:
Kaplan University is authorized under federal law to enroll non-immigrant, alien students. International applicants who are interested in enrolling in an online health science, nursing, or education program should contact the Admissions Advisor for information related to international availability of the required program as not all programs are available for international enrolment. The Admissions Advisor will also be able to give you more information regarding the specific regulations and requirements for international online students.
Kaplan University School of Nursing online LPN programs for international students and certificate programs are taught by practicing professionals. Their courses enhance communication skills, encourage critical thinking, and also address all the technical competencies required by health care employers.
The University Of Phoenix
The University of Phoenix College of Nursing is also authorized under Federal law to enroll non-immigrant international students. They have existed for more than 25 years and are one of the largest international online universities. The University is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission and their online LPN programs for international students are CCNE accredited and are available online in most countries around the world.
Phoenix requires its online students to log in and participate at least four to five days per week, depending on your program, but you can choose the days and times that you work. It offers technical support 24 hours a day, seven days a week, except on major holidays.
For more information please you can either make enquiries online or contact a University representative at 602.387.3333.
Jacksonville University also offers various online nursing programs and their courses are taught by the same professors who teach on-campus students and offer support every step of the way from a JU academic advisor and 24/7 technical support. The online programs offer easy communication methods such as online discussion boards, chat rooms and email.
For more information, you can go to the website or call a dedicated University Alliance program representative at +1 813-612-5302.
Keiser University Online
Keiser University Online also offers various online LPN programs for international students. The university has been around for more than 35 years and believes in offering student-centered, quality career education. Their online programs are devised to prepare students for in-demand professions.
The curriculum at Keiser is up to date and in line with technology and workforce demand trends in the nursing profession and offers user-friendly, state-of-the-art practice online classroom technology. The staff and faculty are accessible and support is offered via forums and chat-rooms as well as e-mail.
Keiser University is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award certificates and degrees at the associate, baccalaureate, masters, and doctoral levels. For more information you can access their website and speak to an adviser.
Working In The U.S. After Graduation
If you are applying to do a LPN program, or applying to work in the U.S.you may experience some problems, as nursing requirements differ from country to country. This may mean the school to which you are applying may request that you do some additional courses before being accepted into the program or employment.
In order to apply for work in the U.S.once you have graduated from one of the online LPN programs for international students you will need to apply for a work visa. This is called a Visa Screen and is covered under section 343 of the Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996 (IIRIRA).