Warning: mkdir(): Read-only file system in /home/customer/www/onlinelpnprograms.com/public_html/wp-content/plugins/esnplugin/esnphp/esnphp.php on line 184
Warning: file_put_contents(/var/home/education/onlinelpnprograms.com/www/wp-content/plugins/esnplugin/esnphp/tmp/esncache/e1668b246039c4ff5682e32912f29669.dat): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/customer/www/onlinelpnprograms.com/public_html/wp-content/plugins/esnplugin/esnphp/esnphp.php on line 186
Despite the fact that Maine is one of the less densely populated states in the US, there are still plenty of opportunities available for people wanting to study for their LPN qualification.
In this beautiful state there are several fantastic schools to choose from all of which will prepare you fully for a career as an LPN nurse. Because the health care industry is on the increase there are plenty of opportunities for people wanting to get into this field. There is also the option of upgrading your qualification to that of a registered nurse.
The first step to becoming licensed as an LPN in the state of Maine is to graduate from a Maine State Board of Nursing approved school. In order to get into a school you must:
- Be over 18
- Have high school diploma or GED
- Have a CNA certificate
- Have a clean criminal background
There are several online courses or distance learning options that are also open to you, but the course MUST be approved and accredited by the State Board of Nursing. Once you have completed the program and passed it sufficiently you will be required to write the NCLEX-PN examination. Once you have written this exam and paid the necessary fees you will be licensed as an LPN.
The exam fee for the NCLEX-PN exam is $200 which you will have to pay to the company who oversees the exam, namely Pearson Vue. You will also have to pay $50 to the Treasurer of the State of Maine along with two passport photos to the Maine State Board of Nursing. Once all of these fees are paid in full you will then be licensed as an LPN (provided, of course, that you have passed the examination). Once you are licensed you will have to renew your license regularly at a cost of $50.
Because you will have the option to upgrade your LPN qualification to that of an RN or BSN, it is always interesting to consider the different LPN salaries that you will be eligible for at each level.
Financial Aid Available
There are several financial aid options that are open to you if you are hoping to study for your LPN qualification in the state of Maine. You needn’t let financial constraints stand in your way. There are plenty of ways to study.
The first thing you should do is apply to FAFSA. They will inform you of the grants and loans that you are eligible for. You should look into grants first as these will never have to be paid back. Loans will have to be paid back, so if you take out a loan, try and get one that has a good interest rate. Scholarships may also be an option for you, but remember that scholarships are given on a rewards basis most of the time, so you will have to be a top academic achiever in order to be eligible for a scholarship. If you are already working in a health care facility, then you may find that your current employer would be more than happy to help you with your studies from a financial point of view. In return you may be required to work for them for a set period of time, but this works in your favor as you won’t have to look for a job once you have finished studying, and you will also have some valuable experience to record on your resume. There are some LPN colleges that offer a work and study deal whereby you can work for them on the campus and earn some money in return that will help you with paying for your fees. This obviously cannot be given to everyone, so it is important that you check your eligibility and apply as soon as possible. If you have gone the route of taking out a loan, there are several loan forgiveness programs that you can apply for. With these programs you will be able to get a portion of your loan paid off on your behalf in return for which you will have to work for a specified period of time in a non profit health care organization.
List of Schools
There are several schools to choose from if you want to study for your LPN qualification in the state of Maine. Remember to make sure that the school is properly accredited before you make your final decision. The list of schools in Maine is as follows:
Central Maine Community College
1250 Turner Street
Auburn, ME 04210
784-2385 FAX: 755-5496
Eastern Maine Community College
Chair, Nursing Programs
354 Hogan Road
Bangor, ME 04401
974-4657 FAX: 974-4608
Kennebec Valley Community College
92 Western Avenue
Fairfield, ME 04937-1367
453-5167 FAX: 453-5194
Northern Maine Community College
33 Edgemont Drive
Presque Isle, ME 04769-2099
768-2749 FAX: 768-2831
Southern Maine Community College
So. Portland, ME 04106
741-5590 FAX: 741-5690
Intercoast Career Institute
207 Gannett Dr., Suite 1
So. Portland, ME 04106
822-9802 FAX: 822-9801
LTC Lafayette Campus
P0. Box 4909
Lafayette, La 70502-4909
ETC-Charles B. Corel Campus
1124 Vocational Drive
Ville Platte, La 70586
609 Vocational Parkway
West Monroe, La 71292
Choosing a School
There are a few very important things to keep in mind when choosing an LPN school in the state of Maine. This is a very important decision to make and you definitely do not want to make it lightly. As compared to other states, Maine has very few schools that actually offer LPN programs, so this means that your choice will be narrowed down much further than if you were living in another state.
The most important thing that you must ensure is that the school you choose to work at is in fact accredited by the Maine State Board of Nursing. This is a basic requirement, and it will prevent you from wasting your time. Other things that you will need t take into account are:
- Location of the school – Because there are so few options to choose from there will probably only one or two schools at the most in the area of Maine where you live. This makes your choice a great deal easier.
- Tuition fees – Different courses differ very slightly in terms of how much money you will have to pay. If finances are an issue than you may have to consider the cost of the course when making your decision.
- Percentage of NCLEX-PN passed candidate from the school in past years – This is an important thing to consider. It may be very easy to get into the school, but what are the chances that the school prepares you for writing the examination? Check the pass rate for that school and make sure that it has a good reputation.
- Length of the program – For many people there are time constraints that they have to consider when it comes to studying. If you are one of these people then you may want to consider how long each of the programs that you can do in Maine are. Once you have ascertained how long it will take you to do a program, you will be able to narrow down your search to find the best school for you to study at.
- Placements – An important factor to consider when looking for an LPN program in Maine is whether or not the school will provide you with a good job placement after you have finished studying.
- Course ware – LPN courses can differ subtly in terms of the course work that you will have to work through. This makes it very important to find out what course work each school offers. It is better to choose a school where the coursework will properly prepare you for the exam.
- Clinical facilities and exposure – Different schools will have different facilities for you to work in. the only way to compare the clinical facilities at the various LPN schools in Maine is to actually go to each of the schools and do a tour. This is important as the quality of the facilities may reflect quite substantially on the quality of the tuition you will receive.
- Reputation of the college – The amount of money that you have to pay for tuition is not necessarily a reflection on the quality of the school. Keep this in mind when choosing a school and make sure that you choose one with a good reputation for producing effective and efficient nurses.
- Financial aids – As you may know some schools offer financial aid to their students. If you need financial aid then this will be a great way to choose a school. Ask about what sort of programs they have in this regard and then check that you qualify.
- Guidance provided by the school for NCLEX-PN exam – To become an LPN you will have to pass the exam, so make sure that the school you choose is preparing you in the best way possible for this outcome.