Becoming an LPN is a sensible thing to do as it is a job that offers security and stability. However it is not always feasible for everyone to take time out of their daily routines to go to school and study further.
Luckily there are several universities out here that offer online LPN programs. One such university is Chamberlain University, and this overview exists for the express purpose of giving you all of the basic information you will need in order to decide whether this is the online program for you or not.
Chamberlain University has been in the business for 122 years and is still going strong. The school was started is 1889 and is one of the few universities offering online LPN programs that actually solely serves the field of nursing. This indicates that this is a university that has more to offer and a higher level of expertise in the area of nursing. According to their website the university is fueled by the “ingenuity of a progressive and expansive nursing program”.
- The university’s vision: “Chamberlain will graduate extraordinary nursing professionals who transform health care worldwide”.
- The university’s mission: “Chamberlain provides a superior nursing education experience distinguished by academic excellence, innovation, integrity, and world class service. We are committed to graduating compassionate, ethical and knowledgeable nurse leaders who are empowered to transform health care”.
- The university’s purpose: “Our purpose is to prepare nurses to advance health care outcomes”.
A “Contact Us” form can be found on their website and the following details are relevant for anyone hoping to contact the university:
Chamberlain National Headquarters/
3005 Highland Parkway
Downers Grove, IL 60515
Toll-Free: 888-556-8CCN (8226)
This section deals with the specific coursework that you will have to complete during your LPN to RN bridge program from Chamberlain University. The subjects mentioned below will all need to be completed, so make sure that you are prepared to do what it takes to get through the program.
- Anatomy and Physiology 1: BIOS-251
- Microbiology and Chemistry 1: BIOS-271
- Algebra for College Students: MATH-114
- Anatomy and Physiology 2: BIOS-252
- Microbiology and Chemistry 2: BIOS-272
- Composition: ENGL-112
- Pharmacology for Nurses: NR-130
- Anatomy and Physiology 3: BIOS-255
- Interpersonal Communication: SPCH-277
- Transitions in Professional Nursing: NR-225
- Anatomy and Physiology 4: BIOS-256
- Adult Health 1: NR-250
- Pathophysiology 1: NR-281
- Adult Health 2: NR-252
- Pathophysiology 2: NR-282
- Nursing Care of Children: NR-260
- Ethical and Legal Issues in the Profession: ETCH-232
- Maternal Child Nursing: NR-262
- Mental Health Nursing: NR-284
- Culture and Society: SOCS-185
- Multi-System Nursing Care: NR-285
- Management Concepts Applied to Nursing: NR-290
For the LPN to RN bridge program online you will have to complete 65 credit hours over five semesters and ten sessions. The costs involved with completing this program are as follows:
- The once off application fee will cost you $95
- The once off background check and drug screening fee will cost you $150
- The cost for each credit hour 1 to 6 or session is $665
- The cost for each credit hour from 7 onwards or session is $100
- Total tuition will amount to $40,400
- The group accident and sickness insurance charge is $2664
- The student services charge is $1500
- Textbooks and equipment will cost you $3500
- The total cost of the entire program will therefore amount to about $48,309
This may seem steep but you will be glad that you got the education in the long term as it will significantly improve your chances of getting an excellent job in the nursing profession. It is therefore important that you weigh the costs of the school carefully. There are many online LPN programs out there so you will have to decide if this is the one for you.
Note: When it comes to choosing a school to attend try not to base your decision too heavily on the cost. Remember that some of the best schools you there are in fact schools that are affordable and that come at very reasonable prices. In addition a really expensive school will not necessarily be the best school that you could choose. It may in fact have a lower standard of education, but charges more because of its reputation or perhaps even because of the area in which it is located. Tuition is important, but it is not the most important factor for selection.
Loans and Scholarships
There is no longer any reason for you to miss out on your LPN to RN training because there are a number of scholarships and other financial aid programs available that LPN nurses can benefit from in order to complete their studies at Chamberlain University. The list of options below is a fairly comprehensive list of options open to LPN nurses who are serious about studying further. The least that you can do is to inquire after the programs and see whether or not you are eligible for any of them. Even if you are not eligible, at least you would have tried. In the long run you will not get help unless you ask for it which is why it is so important that you know what all of your options are. Chamberlain University appears to be one of the few universities that offer comprehensive help in this regard. This may make them one of the better options to choose.
- Federal Pell Grants
- Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG)
- Chamberlain Access Grants (CAG)
- State-Funded Programs
Federal Stafford Loans:
- Subsidized Stafford Loan
- Unsubsidized Stafford Loan
Federal Work-Study (FWS):
If you have the financial need required you may be able to earn a portion of your tuition expenses.
- Next Generation Scholarship
- Nightingale Scholarship
- Dean’s Scholarship
- Chief Steward Scholarship
- Navigate to Nursing (N2N) Scholarship Program
- President’s Scholarship
- Working Parent Scholarship
- Clinical Educator Scholarship
CampusRN Scholarship Fund:
There are scholarships available from the CampusRN Scholarship Fund in the following states:
If your online LPN to BSN program is not accredited then you are effectively wasting your time as you will not be taken seriously in the nursing profession. Most nursing positions require that you have a qualification from a school that is in fact accredited. This is very important and cannot be ignored if you are serious about being a nurse.
Here are the most important things that you need to know about Chamberlain University’s online LPN program in terms of accreditation:
- Chamberlain College of Nursing is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission (HLC)
- Chamberlain College of Nursing is a member of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools
In addition the following qualifications are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE):
- The Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree program (at specific locations)
- The Master of Science in Nursing degree program
The following programs are accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC):
- The Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree program
- The Associate Degree in Nursing program
If you have any questions about the accreditation of the university, use this contact information to find out more:
Contact Ruth Waibel
Sr. Director, Accreditation and Professional Regulations
Online Teaching Methods
A lot of people feel that because a course is offered online it will not be as good as the many other courses that are offered in a face-to-face setting. However with Chamberlain University you can be sure that you will receive only the best in online LPN programs. Your online LPN program will include all of the following aspects even though you do not attend a physical classroom situation:
- Centralized clinical coordination model
- High-tech nursing labs and equipment
- Flexible study options online
- Personal, student-focused learning
- Proven health care and nursing education model
- Prepared, compassionate and clinically proficient graduates
- Faculty–nursing professionals with real-world experience
- Lifetime Learning – everything you need from starting to advancing your nursing career
- Student Success – Chamberlain is committed to student success through a variety of resources
Bear in mind that online teaching methods are not good for everyone. Not everybody can learn in this manner and many people need the structure of a face-to-face classroom situation. This is nothing to be ashamed of or worried about. It just means that you learn in a different way and that you need to find the best learning method for you.
Now that you have all of the basic facts about the LPN to RN bridge program offered by the university you should be in a far better position to make a decision regarding whether or not this is the university for you. Make sure that you carefully research all of the online LPN programs that you are interested in pursuing as there are many to choose from all with their merits and their drawbacks and it is important that you make a good decision.